Founded and supported by the Franklin Grove Area Historical Society, Chaplin Creek Village is an evolving, full-scale historical restoration project depicting a prairie settlement typical of the middle 19th century. The village is being developed around a crossroads named Timothy and Taylor as many small communities did at that time. The name for the village, "Chaplin", comes from the first settlement in the area, which was originally located just north of the historic site at the intersection of Lahman and State streets in Franklin Grove.
As of today, several historically significant buildings and artifacts have been relocated to Chaplin Creek Village from the surrounding area serving as the focal point for the development. The first building was a blacksmith shop moved from Ashton, Illinois. Next came a saltbox style house that was built in the middle 1800's and relocated from west of Rochelle. A typical country schoolhouse from north of Ashton followed the saltbox house. Several other buildings have also been added in recent years which you may read about in the Take a Tour section of our web site.
Chaplin Creek Village serves as the home of the Franklin Grove Area Historical Society, the Chaplin Creek Muzzle Loaders, and the Illinois Atlatl Association.
The historic site is open to the public on weekends from the beginning of June through the end of September. Hours of operation are Saturdays from Noon to 4:00 PM and Sundays from Noon to 4:00 PM; other times by appointment. The historic site is also available for other special events including weddings, family reunions and picnics at the Village Gazebo.
For information concerning Chaplin Creek Village and the Franklin Grove Area Historical Society, including becoming a member and our special events, please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.